Applications for session 19, are being accepted between September 8, 2023 with a deadline of December 15, 2023. Please be advised that space is very limited and applications should be submitted ASAP. SFO classes for next session will begin January 23, 2024, with the LEO session beginning May 2024. For questions or to ensure seats are available, please contact Sarah Strickley at (435) 652-7916.
The following information will help you understand the registration process for the Utah Tech University Regional Peace Officer and Standards Academy. Before completing this information, make sure you qualify to attend the academy. Check the Academy Prerequisites, Application Process pages of this website and the Utah POST Prospective Officers website.
For those interested in the Law Enforcement Officer block you must have completed the Special Function Officer (SFO) block or the Corrections block, and will be required to take the LEO Entrance Exam.
**The UT Regional Academy does not offer the Emergency Vehicle Operations Training. After a student graduates and is employed by an agency they need to attend the Utah POST EVO training held at POST. Please inform any potential employers of this. It will be the students responsibility to inform employers and potential employers of this. You can not be certified until you have completed the EVO.
*Students must be 21 years of age by the end of Special Function Officer block in order to take certification exam
*Pass a background investigation
*High School Diploma or GED
These requirements are set by the Utah POST agency. Please check their requirements before proceeding further.
GENERAL DIRECTIONS FOR APPLICATION & REGISTRATION
Please follow the below directions to complete the registration process for the UT Regional Police Academy.
- Go to the Utah Post website at https://post.utah.gov/ and review the section under the “Basic Training & Prospective Officers” heading. Under this heading check the qualifications and legal requirements subheadings and make sure you can pass each category.
- Make sure you are in good physical condition to pass the physical training test. If you can’t pass the exit test, you will not be able to graduate from the Academy and there will not be a refund for failing any part of the academy. You need to be able to pass the SFO entrance physical training test (PT). The entrance PT test dates will be held the first night of the SFO session. If you you fail to pass the PT exam you must meet with the director.
- Students must be enrolled into UT. Students can receive up 19 credit hours. Students who are applying for financial aid will be required to complete the College Placement Test (CPT) upon admission. (For those who are current Utah Tech University students, please contact Sarah for registration information.)
- Complete the POST application and download a copy for yourself. Directions for completing the application can be found at http://post.utah.gov. Make sure you follow all the directions and give complete answers to every question. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Go to the Utah Tech University (UT) Website. You will need to complete a Utah Tech University application, Start Application. If you are a current student at UT this is not necessary. Complete the regular UT application. If you have been a past student at UT but have not attended for more than a year please complete the re-admission process. After you have completed this process the Registrar’s Office will assign you a student ID number. You will need this number to pay the application fee and the non-refundable deposit if you are just starting the UT Police Academy.
- Make $100 non-refundable Application Fee either online or at the cashier’s office. In person, Notify the cashier that this deposit is for the UT Police Academy and have D#.
- Call Sarah Strickley at (435)652-7916 when you have submitted your application to determine if a review is needed. If the application does not meet all the listed requirements on the POST web-page it will NOT be accepted. You will also need the receipt showing that you have paid the $100.00 fee, and a copy given to Sarah Strickley.
- If the application is accepted by POST, Sarah Strickley will register you into the course. Go back to the cashiers’ office or your myUT account and pay the balance of $2250.00 for the SFO block, or $3900.00 for the LEO block. If you are interested in a payment plan please contact the cashiers office at (435)652-7605.
Cadets who have attended a SFO block prior to to the start of the given class, and are interested in the LEO block, may be required to take the LEO Entrance Exam if more than 18 months (Contact Sarah Strickley to make arrangement or gather information of what will be needed). The SFO block is a prerequisite for the LEO block.
- Certificates of completion will not be issued to those who have not passed any part of the academy or who are not paid in full.
- The UT Regional Police Academy is not the final approval to attend the Academy. The final approval is given by Utah State POST.
- You must be in the authorized uniform the first night of class. For the SFO block you need all SFO uniforms and for the LEO block you need all SFO and LEO items.
- If you are unable to attend this session of the Academy, contact Sarah IMMEDIATELY at (435)652-7916, so that we may pull your file and allow an alternate to attend in your place.